SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

DIY Necklace Holder!

Hi My Loves!!!

I have been wanting to do this DIY Necklace Holder for so long now and every weekend, we've had so much going on that we never got the chance. Luckily this weekend we had time to do it and I am soooo happy with how it turned out! I can't really say that I made any of it, I just explained and showed Jay how I wanted it and he did all the work :) So HUGE props to him! What a fabulous hubby!!


This would be perfect for a necklace holder, towels, robes, scarves, hats, kids towels.... the list goes on! Obviously you can customize it to your taste and decor :)

TO WATCH MY LATEST VIDEO WITH MORE OF MY NECKLACES ON IT:



Here is what you will need:

Super Fine Sand Paper (Home Depot)


Measuring Tape


Sawtooth Hanger (we used 2) (Home Depot)


A handy dandy Hammer :)


Pencil to mark your measuring points


This is the fun part. Knobs. I picked 2 knobs and then 3 little hangy hooks.... if you can't find any hangy hooks you could always get more knobs, switch them up.... it's your choice! Be creative :)
(Home Depot)


I chose the big ones because I figured they would hold more necklaces :) They have small versions of these too.


Here are my little hangy hook thingys ;) I found these on clearance at Michael's after Christmas. They just have a little hole in the back to hang on a regular nail.


A drill.


Spray Paint of your choice.


Nails. We used these slightly bigger ones so that the hangy hooks would be more secure. (Home Depot)



 OH DUH!!! I forgot, you will need a piece of wood! We got ours for less than $1 at Home Depot in the back of the store in the scrap wood racks. They have tons of different lengths and Jay just cut it with a saw to the length I wanted, there in the store :) It's about 1 inch thick. You could make this any length you want.

Here's what it looks like all together :)


STEP 1:
Sand your piece of wood! You want to make sure it's not got any rough bits and it's nice and smooth. Nobody wants to reach for a necklace and get a sliver!


Smooth as a baby's booty :)


STEP 2:
Measure exactly where you want your knobs to go. For the big crystal knobs we went in 7 1/2 inches in on each side. Mark with a pencil.



STEP 3:
Drill your holes. Make sure you get the right size bit so that the screw that comes with the knob fits properly :)


STEP 4:
Spray Paint your wood. Now obviously you would want to do this outside. Jay spray painted it outside while I stayed inside because paint fumes are probably not good for pregnant women! He did 2 coats, letting them dry in between. Make sure it's completely dry before doing the rest of the steps.

Here's what it should look like so far. Holes are done and paint is done too :)


If you are super lucky you might get some delightful little bugs stuck to it like we did :) Haha! Wait till it's dry and they come right off.


STEP 5:
Put the back screw from your knob into the back of the wood.


STEP 6:
Attach the knob to the screw and tighten :) Oh it's coming together so nicely!!



STEP 7:
Technically it would have been easier to do this before we put the knobs on but hey.... Hammer your sawtooth hangers on to the top ends of the back of your wood. Make sure they are even :)


We used 2. One on each end so that it would be nice and sturdy.


STEP 8:
Hammer your big nails into the places you want the other hangy hooks. (If you are using all knobs then obviously you would skip this step)


Jay hammered it in super close so that they wouldn't swing back and forth.


Attach your hangy hooks :)


OH YAH :)


STEP 9:
Hang them on the wall!
 DING.... your finished! Now all you have to do is decide what snazzy necklaces you want on there :)


Sorry the lighting kinda sucks :(





So there is my new necklace holder :) All together with drying time from the paint this took about 2 hours. Once you get it dry, it's super quick from there :) I'd love to take credit for this but it all goes to Jay, he did a beautiful job! (But it was my idea, so I take half the credit haha)....

Hope you like it! Please share a picture on my facebook page or twitter if you decide to make your own! I would love to see what you come up with :) This is definitely not going to be the last one we make. Now I'm obsessed! 

Thanks for reading/watching :)

Happy Hump Day!

Sam

xxxx